There’s no denying bakery reigns supreme in fall and winter. From fresh apple and pumpkin pies to Christmas cookies, it’s hard to resist the sweets. But since you know that eating healthy is a priority even around the holidays, you might be looking for some new fall recipes to try. Incorporating healthier foods into your everyday diet is a great way to offset any unhealthy eating you might do around the holiday season.
Fall makes it easy to start eating healthy because there are so many fruits and vegetables that are at their peak during this time of year. Some of the best in-season fruits and vegetables for fall recipes include:
- Bell peppers
- Winter squash
- Sweet potatoes and yams
- Green beans
With so many in-season fruits and vegetables, it’s time to get cooking with these fall recipes!
Fall Recipes for Seniors Trying to Stay Healthy
The best thing about eating healthy, especially in fall, is that it never gets boring. The seasons change and new, delicious foods are in-season for you to add to nutritious fall recipes and salads. Below are some of the best recipes you can try at home or in your senior independent living apartment to help you stay healthy and well fed this fall and winter.
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Cider Vinaigrette — Nothing says fall quite like apple cider. This healthy recipe provides serious flavor and takes less than an hour to make. Get the recipe here.
- Garden Fresh Tomato Soup — This quick and easy meal is the perfect option for a crisp fall day. Fresh tomatoes give it plenty of flavor and added nutritional value. Get the recipe here.
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese — Mac and cheese is a hearty dish that makes you feel warm and cozy, but by adding cauliflower, it also packs a punch of vitamins and fiber. Get the recipe here.
- Polenta Cakes with Sautéed Mushrooms — Mushrooms are a great in-season option for healthy eating. When paired with polenta cakes, it’s a filling meal that will leave you satisfied. Get the recipe here.
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad — It wouldn’t be fall without a fresh salad. This one can be whipped up in only 15 minutes and includes added health benefits from in-season cranberries, pine nuts, and brussels sprouts. Get the recipe here.
Healthy autumn recipes help make cooking fun and keep things fresh. By choosing recipes with in-season fruits and vegetables, you’ll always excite your taste buds and keep your meals interesting. The more fruits and vegetables you can incorporate into your meals, the more you’ll reap the health benefits. Plus, the best part about cooking seasonal, healthy meals is that you don’t have to feel bad about indulging in all the delicious treats the holidays bring.
Enjoy a Feast for the Senses at The Marshes of Skidaway Island
At The Marshes of Skidaway Island, we believe the dining experience should do more than just nourish the body. Leave the cooking to us while we focus on balancing the desires of the palate with dietary preferences to ensure you get the award-winning cuisine you deserve. Start the conversation about independent living at The Marshes of Skidaway Island by contacting us today.
Interested to hear what our residents have to say about their favorite fall recipes and their dining experiences at The Marshes of Skidaway Island? Read our resident blog to hear from our wonderful residents!