According to the World Health Organization, a person’s lifestyle choices affect 60% of their overall health. Maintaining an active lifestyle provides numerous mental, emotional, and physical benefits to add more vibrancy and energy in seniors’ later years.
Retirement communities put a strong focus on active senior living to bolster residents’ daily lives. A varied menu of activities and exercise options ensure that residents’ fitness routines never grow stale.
The Importance of Active Aging
Staying active can help seniors keep a reassuring schedule in their retirement years and provides a sense of purpose and goals to strive for. In addition, there are a number of highly important benefits enjoyed by active seniors.
1. Fends off common illnesses. Maintaining a healthy immune system is necessary to fight off common illnesses like colds and the flu, which in seniors can lead to serious complications such as pneumonia. Habitual exercise reduces inflammation in the body, which helps the immune system work more effectively. Working out can fortify antibodies to fight against infection.
2. Slows cognitive decline. Research shows a strong link between regular exercise and a reduced risk of cognitive decline. Cardiovascular fitness can stave off the advancement of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
3. Keeps your heart healthy. Regular aerobic workouts improve blood circulation in the body. Over time, this activity can lower blood pressure and standing heart rate, reducing the risk for cardiovascular diseases.
4. Lessens effects of chronic conditions. As workouts help control a senior’s weight, reduce pain and improve circulation, the long-term effects can be remarkable. Diabetes, asthma, arthritis and certain cancers can be eased by habitual fitness.
5. Reduces risk of dangerous falls. Strength-building exercises, such as yoga, weight training and tai chi, can help seniors grow their strength, promote better balance, improve flexibility and increase overall mobility.
6. Strengthens bones. Weight-bearing exercises put necessary pressure on bones, strengthening them. This support can slow the progress of osteoporosis.
7. May help you live longer. While researchers suggest at least 30 minutes of exercise five days each week, even 15 minutes of exercise each day can increase a person’s life span by three years.
Active Senior Living in Savannah, Georgia
The Marshes of Skidaway Island provides numerous opportunities for residents to engage in an active lifestyle. An indoor heated pool offers low-impact options for seniors with sensitive joints. Our fully-equipped exercise room is stocked with senior-friendly workout equipment. The beautiful campus is ideal for scenic walks with friends, both two-legged and four-legged. And our extensive selection of fitness classes allows residents the opportunity to try new activities and discover new favorite workouts. Here, active senior living never has to feel repetitive or boring.
If you’d like more information about active independent senior living in Savannah, or if you’d like to hear more about our wellness opportunities at The Marshes of Skidaway Island, contact us. Any of our helpful team members would be happy to provide you with more information.